First Case of COVID-19 Confirmed in Davis County
April 29, 2020 –
Davis County Public Health and ADLM Counties Emergency Management has learned that a local community member has tested positive for the novel Coronavirus, COVID-19 While this is the first case in Davis County, it may not be the last. We encourage all residents to continue to make prevention a priority. These actions include:
- Washing hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds each time.
- Covering coughs and sneezes with a tissue or elbow/upper arm.
- Staying home when ill.
- Avoid nonessential travel and social distance.
For individuals who have symptoms of illness, particularly with fever and cough or shortness of breath, your provider can assess whether you need to be seen in the office or if you can recover at home. If you think you need healthcare, call first. Approximately 80% of Iowans infected with COVID-19 will experience only a mild to moderate illness. Most mildly ill Iowans do not need to go to their healthcare provider or be tested to confirm they have COVID-19. Sick Iowans must stay home and isolate themselves from others in their house.
Stay home and isolate from others in the house until:
- You have had no fever for at least 72 hours (that is three full days of no fever without the use of medicine that reduces fevers)
- AND other symptoms have improved (for example, when your cough or shortness of breath have improved)
- AND at least 7 days have passed since your symptoms first appeared.
We recognize that this is a very uncertain time for everyone. We encourage residents to follow recommendations from Iowa Department of Public Health, Governor Reynolds and local healthcare agencies. Davis County (ADLM) Emergency Management, Davis County Department of Public Health and local healthcare partners will continue to update the public as more information becomes available.
Iowans with general questions about COVID-19. For up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/ and follow the department on Facebook at @IowaDepartmentOfPublicHealth and on Twitter at @IAPublicHealth. For local information follow us on Facebook at Davis County Hospital & Clinics and ADLM Counties Emergency Management.